Acting EFCC chairman, Mohammed Umar Abba
President Bola Tinubu suspended AbdulRasheed Bawa, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) chairman yesterday due to serious charges of abuse of power.
According to a statement from the office of the SGF, the suspension would allow for a thorough examination of his behaviour while in office as a result of some serious claims of abuse of authority made against him by certain stakeholders in the anti-corruption fight.
Following his suspension, Bawa was ordered to immediately hand over his office’s affairs to the agency’s Director of Operations, Mohammed Umar Abba, who will manage the affairs of the EFCC Chairman’s office.
*Here are six things to know about the acting EFCC chairman:*
1. Mohammed Umar Abba was born on June 22, 1965, in Tudunwada Local Government Area of Kano State.
2. Abba bagged his first degree from Bayero University, Kano. He did his one-year national service at the old Anambra State Police Command and later got enlisted into the Nigeria Police Force. He attended the Nigeria Police Academy, Kaduna State, where he was commissioned in 1992.
3. CP Abba was seconded to the Commission in January 2016 to head the Counterterrorism and General Investigations, CTGI, Section at the Headquarters in Abuja.
4. He was appointed the Director of Operations of the Commission in 2017.
5. In 2019, he was promoted to the rank of Commissioner of Police.
6. On July 9, 2020, Abba stepped in as the Acting Chairman of the Commission, being the most senior operational officer when the former chairman, Ibrahim Magu, was suspended.